19090 Bohlman Road Home: 408/ 867-0133
Saratoga, CA 95070 Mobile: 408/ 621-9930
Highly qualified, high-energy leader with hands-on experience in education and business administration in both the private and public sectors. Skilled in problem-solving, financial analysis, fund-raising, personnel management, team leadership, strategic planning, and project management. Communication skills include conveying complex information in easily understood format, defining difficulties in areas of conflict, clarifying behavioral expectations, and representing organizations in public and political arenas. Experience in redirecting troubled businesses and in identifying opportunities for growth and collaboration. Geared to positively effecting human behavior, both locally and globally. Strong computer and technology skills.
Assignments include coaching various classes; teaching FaceBook class.
Non-profit Volunteer Webmaster
- Glenna Harris Weavers Guild
- Fiber Artisans of San Jose
- Serendipity Spinners
- Peninsula Endowment
- Almaden Seniors
Non-profit and small business development, accounting and website contractor
1990 – 2005
Youth Science Institute (YSI), Santa Clara County, California
1993 – 2005
Director of Operations – 1990-93, Executive Director/CEO
- Developed the Director of Operations position and continued to carry out those duties when appointed as Executive Director. Reversed four-year deficit.
- Produced and coordinated grant proposals and administered grants.
- Worked with county supervisors, state legislators, and local elected officials to provide financial resources.
- Incorporated language arts, visual arts, and physical education activities with science learning skills to address a variety of learning modalities.
- Set-up, and maintained for seven years, the current bookkeeping and fund accounting program following Generally Accepted Accounting Principles. Oversaw an annual audit.
- Completed all tax reporting, including DE3s and 990s.
- Worked effectively with Board of Directors and YSI Guild.
- Created, and maintained, YSI’s website, http://www.ysi-ca.org/
- Developed and implemented technology plan, retirement plan, long-term County lease agreement, and endowment fund.
- Coordinated educational programs at three sites relating them to State Science Standards.
- Completed two successful capital projects: renovation of the animal room and replacing the aviaries at YSI’s Alum Rock site. Initiated a third, a classroom addition to the Vasona site which has just been completed.
- Dramatically increased attendance in all education areas of YSI.
- Collaborated with other agencies on related projects.
1988 – 1990
Dinah’s Garden Hotel, Palo Alto, California
- Managed 128 room hotel and garden restaurant.
- Coordinated housekeeping, maintenance, food and beverage, marketing, guest services and administrative departments.
- Planned and oversaw renovation of one section of hotel guest rooms.
- Successfully completed negotiations in a difficult personnel issue.
1985 – 1988
Woodmark Hotels, Inc., Santa Clara, California
Assistant Manager, General Manager
- Assistant Manager with responsibilities for directing food and beverage and guest services departments of the Woodmark Hotel, a 60 room luxury hotel in Cupertino.
- General Manger of the Centrella Hotel, an historic 28 room bed and breakfast hotel in Pacific Grove.
- General Manager of All Stars Restaurant, a 15,000 square foot restaurant and sports bar with a 350 seat catering space in Cupertino.
1980 – 1985
Annie’s, an American Bistro, Saratoga, California
Owner, General Manager
- Owned and operated a full service lunch and dinner house seating 65.
- Developed business plan, sought and found funding, oversaw installation of restaurant equipment and furnishings.
- Directed and oversaw professional staff, buying, and accounting.
- Provided marketing and customer services. Worked with local merchant and civic groups.
1978 – 1980
Peppermill Restaurant, Cupertino, California – Assistant chef
Saga Foods, Wild Strawberries Restaurant, Palo Alto, California
Kitchen Manager, Chef
- Oversaw kitchen management of an established restaurant chain as first female chef and back-of-the-house female.
- Managed cold kitchen of Saga Foods start-up restaurant. Hired and supervised all kitchen personnel.
1964 – 1978
Fremont Union High School District, Sunnyvale, California, Teacher/Counselor
1964 – 1969
Fremont High School, Sunnyvale
1969 – 1978
Monta Vista High School, Cupertino
- Primary teaching duties in English included basic language arts and literature, creative writing, film as literature, American literature, and humanities.
- Taught physical education and home economics on an as-needed basis including adaptive P.E. and cooking for blind students.
- Served as Associated Student Body advisor at Monta Vista.
- Provided half-time counseling, half-time teaching at Fremont High School for three years.
1961 – 1963
Cedar Rapids School District, Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Roosevelt Junior High School, Language Arts Teacher
- 90+ hours of course work in various areas at Stanford, University of California, Berkeley and Santa Cruz, San Jose State University, West Valley College. Attended California Culinary Academy prior to opening restaurant.
- Personal development classes at San Jose Museum of Art, local junior colleges, recreation departments, other organizations. Currently taking Spanish.
University of Northern Iowa, Cedar Falls, Iowa,
Master of Arts -Guidance and Counseling
Bachelor of Arts, with High Honors
Major: Junior High Education. Minors: English, History, French
- Coach, SeniorNet Learning Center of Almaden
- 2010-2014 Webmaster, YWCA Silicon Valley
- Past – volunteer (1000+ hours), Recording for the Blind and Dyslexic.
- Past – President, Advisory Board, Conference of Northern California Handweavers, an arts and education nonprofit organization.
- Board member, Peninsula Endowment, Synergo Arts
- Member, WARP (Weave a Real Peace), an international organization seeking fair trade markets and empowerment for textile artists in communities-in-need.